I was the captain of a small expeditionary vessel that had somehow been shipwrecked, grounded near a village that appeared to be Scandinavian. I recall nothing of the cause for us having been grounded, nor do I clearly recall anything of events that followed shortly thereafter, though there was a vague and fleeting impression of a trial or meeting having been conducted in the village regarding what to do with us survivors. By the look of the environment and our garb it seemed as though I was in the sixteenth century. Shortly after our inglorious landfall a scene materialized of me standing before our capsized vessel, with my almost a dozen crew members ringed around it on the opposite side, in a sparsely-wooded deciduous forest. It was very small in appearance, no larger than a dinghy or tender, and upside-down, and somehow had gotten well inland, since there was no beach in sight or even the distant sound of surf. I told my crew that they were all free to go wherever they wished and that I would remain behind to destroy the shit, as per agreement, on which they cheered and quickly dispersed. Agreement? I tried stomping on the hull to break the ship, but of course I bounced off it and did no damage...
...At that I scanned the area in search of large rocks to bash the hull apart with, but seeing none in the immediate vicinity I began to wander away from the village behind me and farther into the words. A little while later I came across a rather odd cemetery, very ancient, with large headstones in which runes were carved, seeming grouped together haphazardly and with large spaces in between groups. It was a beautiful sunny mid-fall afternoon, or so it seemed, and I was rapidly losing interest in my mission to destroy the ship in favor of enjoying the weather and the surroundings; I always did like cemeteries. After meandering a bit I noticed a very large, modern city in the near distance, past a wooded area I assumed lay on the opposite side of the cemetery to the village, and since only the upper part of the skyscrapers was visible I concluded that the city lay in a valley not far from the village and the cemetery. Rather odd, but it only seemed slightly out of place and I felt no real curiosity toward it. I turned around and headed back toward the village and on my way was greeted by an elderly lady in the native tongue, which I couldn't understand and in embarrassment lowered my head and muttered "Hello" in response. That's when I vowed to learn the local language, which few people to no one seemed to understand...
...And so I visited an old hardware store in the village, which was tended by an old man I assumed was the owner. I awkwardly, through gestures and with a picture, made my purpose clear to the gentleman, at which he sat down at a workbench to make a strange hand-held device for me to use; it had a revolving head connected to a handle, the head of which had a c-shaped protrusion that had at the end of it a hook and from which an awl-like conical extension protruded. And, it made absolutely no sense. After a bit of embarrassing rummaging in pockets in search of some means to pay the proprietor I finally settled on a dollar bill, which looked like it came from the late nineteenth century, and handed it to him, at which he grinned and beamed after a cursory examination. I briefly went back to the ship and halfheartedly tried to use the strange tool to score the hull, but it only made a scratch and I just shrugged and returned to where I was staying in the village. Which apparently was a two-story domicile of a single woman, who based on a vague and fleeting image of a schoolroom, was a teacher. She had a young boy living with her, and aside from those two I also apparently had a companion living with me in my room, a very large and blond person I took to be a fellow survivor. Where did he come from, or the others? They made no appearance in the dream earlier. It seemed that by then I was beginning to speak the language a little bit, and it also appeared that the kid that lived there and I got along quite well and that I played with him occasionally. Not so my companion, who was a sullen man who refused to have anything to do with the locals or to learn the language and clearly resented being stuck here. I lost my patience with him one day and chided him for his antisocial and ungrateful attitude and frightening the child, in response to which he started cursing me in Russian. I quickly silenced him, telling him that that's the worst possible language a man could speak among Finns. So apparently I was in Finland...
...Suddenly I found myself on a ship, or what looked like two ships fastened together, flying across a very calm river or harbor, with what looked like a dense jungle on both sides. It was sunny like the day in the cemetery but warmer, feeling like summer. I saw my surly roommate engaged in incredible aerial acrobatic feats among a complex network of ropes connecting the various masts of the two ships like a spider web, which was rather surprising to me because apparently I had no idea until then that he was capable of such athleticism. I had the impression that he was releasing all the stress that had been building up in him since we arrived. I on the other hand was seated in what looked like a blue love tunnel car or carriage with three beautiful women, laughing and having a great time, each of us dressed in what looked like our Edwardian Sunday best. One of them was the woman I lived with, the one immediately next to me and practically on my lap, though it was more a thing I knew more than recognized. Other than that I could see neither hide nor hair of anyone else and there was no indication of how the ships were propelled or steered, and indeed it wasn't even clear if my little carriage was on one of the ships or gliding along next to one of them. At one point I was trying to cut a rope with that strange tool the old man sold me, though I wasn't sure if it was to fell my acrobatic companion or for some other purpose. I do recall having said something to the ladies with me to the effect that though my fellow survivor had many faults he was certainly a graceful and powerful athlete.
No comments:
Post a Comment